jeudi 14 avril 2016

335xi alignment issue...frame?

Just had bilstein HDs installed on my car. Ride actually seems noticeably better than with the stock dampers. I have the stock springs still. But here's my issue/question:

The tech indicated they could not align my car to BMW specs. Specifically, they were unable to bring the camber into spec. Here's the before/after:

Left front (before)
Camber -2.0 degrees
Caster 7.6
Toe -.35

Left front (after)
Camber -2.1 (spec is 0 to -.9)
Caster 7.6
Toe .03 (spec is .0 to .07)

Right front (before)
Camber -1.4 degrees
Caster 7.2
Toe -.28

Right front (after)
Camber -1.0
Caster 7.2
Toe .03

it's a similar story in the rear but both camber measurements on the rear came in at the very end of the spectrum of specs, so it appears the rear isn't off nearly as much as the front.

The tech is advising me to visit a body shop to get a frame measurement and bring it back to him so we can game plan a proper fix if I'm interested. He also suggested that usually if the frame is off its the result of an accident. I'm the second owner of the car though, and I've never had an accident and the car was CPO with a clear car fax when I bought it. I've also never noticed any significant tracking or driving issues other than the main reason I installed the bilstein said (poor handling capabilities and a squirrelly rear end.). The bilstein said seemed to have addressed those issues though.

I should also say this shop has an excellent reputation and I'd go back them in a heartbeat. Just making it clear that I'm not dogging the shop at all...really just want to hear some opinions from others who maybe have had similar issues with alignment.

I should also add that the alignment measurements don't surprise me as I was getting premature tread wear on the inside of all 4 tires before I had the Bilsteins installed. Noticed it each season when I swapped my winter tires in/out.

Any thoughts?


Last edited by bman5150; Today at 01:07 PM.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



335xi alignment issue...frame?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire