jeudi 27 novembre 2014

Winter tire dilemna! (Wintersport vs..) [long]

I have a old set of wintersport 3d's on my e92 m3 that I've actually driven on all summer (and last winter!). I didnt really love them in the snow (ie they pretty much suck) but they are amazing dry traction winter tires. They are actually good enough to not even think much about in the summer and perhaps even a little more fun to drive than oem because I can slide the rear around easier in the dry.



Anyway, I looked at my fronts and said.. I think I can get another season out of them, so I went and ordered a pair of Dunlop wintersport 4d's for the rear to get me through this season. Thanks Tirerack!



We just had a snow storm here in NY and I gave the old tires a try (Havent mounted the new 4d's yet) and I definitely need to replace my fronts too. So I went to Tire Rack to get two more and they're sold out there, and everywhere else I can find. My size (on square setup VMR 710 aftermarket rims) is 245-40-18.



The part that confuses all of this is that I just put a full set of ws-80's on my wife's es350 and drove in the snow all day yesterday. Thanks Tirerack! It handles very well, but I cant really tell if the tires are mushy because, well, its a lexus. I was actually considering putting a couple of those tires on the rear and keeping the 4d's for the front. This way I get the "dont get stuck traction" of the ws-80 but perhaps retain a bit of road feel and cornering stability with the 4d's up front. I am ok with the fact that it will under-steer in the snow (I used to be a track-rat, so I'm comfortable with car control).



So, I am wondering what to do now. Do I return the two 4d's for $30 and get a set of Blizzak lm-32's? Do I just buy a pair of lm32's for the rear?

Or a pair of ws-80 for the rear! I sort of wish there was a tire in the middle of the lm32 and wintersport 4d. I've read that maybe ws-80 just might be that tire, but tire rack only lists the RFT in my size, which sucks, right?



Thanks for any suggestions or tips. I'm very interested to hear from folks that retained a performance winter front and more studless heavy duty winter rear setup on their m3.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire