vendredi 23 janvier 2015

I just want a decent independent

<Sigh>



My car was recently due a simple oil service, and as it's now out of warranty I'm trying to settle on a decent independent for this kind of job. I spotted one on Pistonheads 'recommended garages' Wiki so I thought I'd give them a go. I'd also had a few 'control system failure' messages the previous week, but they had cleared up over the last couple of days.



My car is reasonably standard but has a JB4 and BMS dual-cone intake, Alpina gearbox software, CIC upgrade, LCI rear-lights etc.



My first inkling that this wasn't going to go well was when the mechanic insisted that my car had the N52 engine when I took it in and he was taking details. No amount of me insisting it was N54 would convince him until he went out to the car and checked the chassis plate. Not a good start.



I asked him if I should disable the JB4 and he assured me he could work around it. However, when he called me later in the day he told me he hadn't been able to do anything on the car as his diagnostics kit couldn't communicate. I told him he should have called me and I'd have talked him through disabling it but he was insistent that even with the JB4 disabled, it would still prevent him 'talking to the car. I think that's cobblers.



So, he spent a full day trying to diagnose the 'control system' codes I was getting and didn't have chance to do the service, so I left the car with him another day. I turns out that in order to diagnose the car, he had to take the JB4 off.



We agreed that he'd carry out the service and I'd collect the car the next day. I turned up yesterday and was presented with a bill for the service, plus two hours diagnostics which was apparently reduced from 4 hours as "good will".



I agreed with him that I'd leave the JB4 off for a couple of weeks and see how the car ran, but made it clear that I wasn't happy that he hadn't rang me when he had problems diagnosing. Again, he insisted that even disabling the JB4 would prevent him from using his kit.



Anyway, the icing on the cake ... I drive the 20 miles home last night, reverse onto the drive, and receive an "oil level low - add a litre of oil" warning light. The warning is present this morning too. I'm assuming my oil level sensor is either broken, or they've drained the oil and not put any more in, or left a cap off or something.



FFS.



This is mostly a rant, but hopefully y'all can answer these questions:



1 - with the JB4 disabled, ie on map 0, should diagnostics equipment be able to communicate with the car?



2 - any way to check the oil level on the N54? I've opened the cap on top of the engine but obviously all I can see is oily bits.



Cheers



Frustrated of Manchester




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire