samedi 21 mars 2015

276K What to Do...

Okay, so I know this is a 1st-World problem, but I'm throwing it out to E90 Post to solicit opinions. Just to refresh the car is a 2006 E90 325i with manual trans and sport package, and HIDs.



It's well documented I probably have the highest mileage E90 on the Forum, and probably in the US per BMW USA (as of August 2013). But I'm getting near a cross roads. As one would expect with any car at this mileage it has some issues. The simple ones are:


  • HVAC blower motor (2nd go around)

  • Radio faceplate is fading

  • Suspension parts are worn

  • Need new floor mats

  • Windshield needs replacing

  • Probably should redo the shifter bushings




The harder ones are (meaning I don't have a good diagnosis for them):



"Lumpy" idle - just at idle. A BMW tech said it was the coils (all are original). I've searched and found a thread that an E90-Poster replaced his engine mounts. Or maybe its the eccentric shaft sensor. Or maybe the dual-mass flywheel weights no longer slide around like they should... No check engine light. Haven't scanned for codes in awhile, but I had it at the dealer for an alignment in November and general evaluation and they found no codes.



Vibration in drivetrain at high RPM, 4,000 and above. Now this one came up in February 2014. When at full throttle the drive train gets a loud and grainy vibration in it that you can feel through the whole car and in the shifter. I can pull in the clutch and get off throttle and the vibration slowly fades as the engine drops RPM. I've replaced the driveshaft center bearing - the obvious 1st culprit. But that really didn't change anything. If drive the car at speed in the same RPM range, but not at full throttle there is no vibration. Maybe the exhaust is worn out and there is some time of exhaust flow pressure harmonic building up in the exhaust. Or maybe it is the engine mounts, or maybe the flywheel...So this I just can't figure this one out.



Oil consumption. So that's increased some from when new. Still acceptable in my book at around 5,000 miles per quart. I've got a weeping oil pan gasket, but it not gushing. The rear crank seal is leaking a bit too. Valve cover is leak free. I've not yet checked the eccentric shaft connector. I'm thinking the oil separator system is in need of refurbishment or just dirty. The exhaust is clean, and the engine seems as powerful as normal. Fuel mileage average has dropped maybe 1 MPG since new, so I don't think the engine is about to grenade or anything, but who knows...



But the real issue at hand is the clutch. After this many miles, it's about to need replacement. It's not yet slipping, but it's getting a bit harder than normal to actuate.



And that's the 1st world problem. I can live with the rest of the issues mentioned above, but once the clutch goes, I've got to do something about it. And keep in mind I've got a full auto shop at home with lift and air tools so none of these problems are beyond my DIY capability, it's just money and my free time. But does one put a few thousand dollars into a 276K mile E90 at this point? Or do I get to the point that the clutch needs replacement, call it a day, decide I got my money's worth out of it, and say good bye (keep in mind I love this car and no other car in 2015 excites me to drive it, except maybe an ATS). The body is rust free and in good condition. So is the interior. I've replaced a bunch of stuff along the way, as well documented in other threads, and then there the oil life monitor issue (also documented in other threads).



Just thought I'd throw this out to the Post for comment, on this 1st day of Spring 2015...




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire