vendredi 20 mars 2015

Rotating asymmetrical tires on a staggered setup

From what I understand, to rotate an asymmetrical tire on a staggered wheel setup you can only move the wheel from one axle to another. The front wheels can be swapped; likewise the back wheels can be swapped.



The problem is the inside edge of my tires always wear first (as with all my other cars) so swapping wheels in the front or in the rear does nothing to alleviate the inner tire wear.



I am tempted to just remount the tires (eg - right front tire gets put on the left front rim and the left front tire goes on the right from rim), but then the "inside" side of the tire now faces outside and the "outside" side of the tire is now inside.



Besides a slight loss of performance, it should be ok, right? I can double the life of my tires doing this :). Most people won't be able to tell a difference that the tire is mounted incorrectly.



I did read an article about a tire failure on a race car where the team purposely mounted an asymmetrical tire incorrectly, but some say it's not due to improper mounting but a tire defect.



Gary




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire